Stitches begone...
This past Monday I had my stitches removed from my finger. Justin was working that day, so I asked Pat, my mother-in-law, to come "hold my hand." lol. She gladly came. She didn't hold my hand, but just having her there helped for some reason.
The doctor came in to look at my finger (a different doc than the one who stitched me up). He said it looked fine and that the stitches were ready to come out. He left and a nurse came in. She was a woman probably in her sixties. She began cutting and pulling them out. It didn't hurt too bad until she pulled out the ones that went through my nail. OUCH. Anyway, there was one last stitch and it was already cut. It just needed to be pulled out. By this time I was getting very warm and light headed and my finger was really hurting. The nurse said she couldn't tell if there was one left, and I told her there was indeed one left. She kept looking and saw it when she turned my finger a certain way. She began trying to pull it out but just couldn't get a hold of it. If I weren't already so uncomfortable and ready to go, I wouldn't have asked, but I did. Frustrated, I asked, "Can I do it??" And she looked a little surprised, but responded, "Sure, if you think you can." She handed me the tweezers and I pulled it out on the first try.
The nurse wrapped my finger up loosely and I was on my way. Even though I was feeling quite woozy when I left, I was kind of proud of myself for pulling out one of my own stitches. Of course, I called Justin and told him right away. He was proud too. :)
My finger is stitch-free, and it doesn't look pretty. But it is scabbed and healing and I can use that finger a lot more now. Unfortunately, though, since I have been favoring my finger and using that hand differently, now my wrist hurts like I have carpal tunnel. I've hurt my wrist like this before, so I already had a brace and now I'm wearing that. It never ends! lol.
PS: New house update to come SOON!
The doctor came in to look at my finger (a different doc than the one who stitched me up). He said it looked fine and that the stitches were ready to come out. He left and a nurse came in. She was a woman probably in her sixties. She began cutting and pulling them out. It didn't hurt too bad until she pulled out the ones that went through my nail. OUCH. Anyway, there was one last stitch and it was already cut. It just needed to be pulled out. By this time I was getting very warm and light headed and my finger was really hurting. The nurse said she couldn't tell if there was one left, and I told her there was indeed one left. She kept looking and saw it when she turned my finger a certain way. She began trying to pull it out but just couldn't get a hold of it. If I weren't already so uncomfortable and ready to go, I wouldn't have asked, but I did. Frustrated, I asked, "Can I do it??" And she looked a little surprised, but responded, "Sure, if you think you can." She handed me the tweezers and I pulled it out on the first try.
The nurse wrapped my finger up loosely and I was on my way. Even though I was feeling quite woozy when I left, I was kind of proud of myself for pulling out one of my own stitches. Of course, I called Justin and told him right away. He was proud too. :)
My finger is stitch-free, and it doesn't look pretty. But it is scabbed and healing and I can use that finger a lot more now. Unfortunately, though, since I have been favoring my finger and using that hand differently, now my wrist hurts like I have carpal tunnel. I've hurt my wrist like this before, so I already had a brace and now I'm wearing that. It never ends! lol.
PS: New house update to come SOON!
Comments
Post a Comment