Timeless Love

So, yesterday I was digging through my purse and came across my dad's old watch face. It's one of those digital ones. I had been throwing it in my purse whenever I switched purses, just to have it in there, because it would beep every now and then and fondly remind me of my dad.  It didn't have the right time and I didn't know how to change it, but that was okay. I pulled it out because I noticed there weren't any numbers on it.  The watch had finally died.  I'm not sure when exactly, but it had, and sometime this year for sure. Mind you that my dad passed away 9 years ago on December 22nd.


I wasn't very sad when I realized the watch had stopped. I just kind of had the feeling of "aw, that's too bad."  Because I guess I realized at that moment that the watch wasn't going to keep me close to my dad.  It's just a watch. And now a dead one at that.


I have been thinking about dad a lot lately, as I always do when the holidays come around. Yet, he's been on my mind even more since I've been pregnant.  I'm reminded that he won't be here to see and spoil his first grandchild, and he won't be here to be that cool, goofy grandpa that I know he would've been to Brianna.  She won't know him, except what I tell her, which will be plenty. :)


Not to get all mushy on you, but these facts made me really sad, especially as an emotionally unstable pregnant woman.  Except, the watch somehow made me think about it in a different way and something clicked...


Brianna is going to be keeping my dad alive just by being born. She'll be carrying some of his DNA and she'll be carrying his name with her as well (Brian). And now, I think I can finally say that I have a peace about him not being here for her birth. For he's probably always been here, and in a way I'm sure he will be there.  Every now and then something happens that makes me wonder if he had a part in it. :)


I will forever miss him. But I will keep him alive through my memories and remembering the little things about him like:  his laugh, his love of dogs, how he'd walk around the house farting with each step and act like he's stepping on something, singing in the car "Benie in a Gottle" instead of "Genie in a Bottle," tickling my brother and I, tapping his hands on the dashboard in the car as if he were playing the drums to the music, head banging to "Bohemian Rhapsody," those neon workout shorts, his low singing voice, his love of sweets, how he'd try to tickle my stomach every time Paul Simon sang "a little soft in the middle now" in "Call me Al," his seemingly wordy lectures, and the precious letters he would write me when he couldn't find the words to say.


So in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I am so thankful for the 18 years I had with my dad and all the little things that made him who he was.



I love you dad, and always will.

Comments

  1. Kelley, this is beautiful! You're so right, your dad is living on in Brianna and in you. It sounds so cliche, but he is still with you in spirit, through your fond memories and the love that you both shared...these are timeless (even when the clock stops).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lydia. I agree! :) Nice (clock stops comment)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm gonna change the name of the post now. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a precious post!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and memories! My dad died 18 years ago. I am SO thankful for the 32 years I had with him. Each Christmas I watch the Sound of Music because that was one of his favorite movies (mine too). He said the song "How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria" was me!!! LOL Memories are wonderful - if you let them be. And if you open your heart and eyes - you see them in so many ways.....see how much they blessed and molded your life. I love you girl - and you precious, tender heart!! Polly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, that's sweet, Polly. Memories are wonderful indeed. :) Love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful tribute to a very good dad. He was a character and that made him so lovable. He truly loved you from the minute you and B were born. Just in awe and fascination of the miracles you were and are. He was there for your whole childhood which was a blessing. Bri is lucky to have a great mother with fond memories of her parents. You will make your own memories and enjoy Justin's fatherhood in perhaps a different way than most. When he marvels at your baby, just imagine your dad doing the same thing. There is nothing like parenthood and no words can prepare you for that special joy. Enjoy it, he did and I still do......Yo momma

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, mom. He sure was a character. :) I'm looking forward to watching Justin and Bri. That's part of the reason I wanted a girl--to see him with her. :) Love you bunches. xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Party of 4!

28 Weeks and Counting...