Testing, testing...
Hello all! This is our first blog post! I hope it finds you all doing well! I will fill you in on some random things that have been happening in our lives lately.
Justin took me to Outback for Valentine's Day. It was delicious! Also, since Valentine's Day, I've had the privilege of gazing at a plethora of beautiful tulips! Justin got me a bouquet as well as a pot of planted tulips that hadn't bloomed yet. Well, they have definitely bloomed and watching them grow was so cool! And there are still a few buds left! Today is the first day that the petals are starting to fall off. :( It doesn't help that the cats like to chew on them either, haha. But Lord willing, I'll be able to watch these same tulips bloom again next year! Woo hoo! Here are some pictures I took.
Speaking of the kids (Oreo and Rashi), they're doing fine. They're both quite affectionate nowadays. Rashi is finally starting to really show affection towards me, whereas he used to just do that to Justin. It's cute. Justin tried out a new litter box system that he found on the internet and made himself, but it turned out to be more stinky and less sanitary than the normal litter routine. He tried using aquarium rocks, but since they aren't absorbent, they would stay pretty wet. And I wasn't too keen on the cats getting pee on their paws and prancing around the apartment. Oreo started peeing by the front door near and on some of our shoes, so I gathered that they weren't too keen on the idea either. The idea was good and it would've been more environmentally friendly and more cost effective (not having to buy litter again), however, my nose couldn't handle it and I think the cats are much happier now that they're back to the old litter again. Now, we are looking into finding a carpet cleaner to rent. Ha.
In other news, a few weeks ago I started helping out at church. We officially became members at the end of last year. It's called People of Mars Hill and here's their site, if you'd like to check em out. They have a podcast of the sermons and are trying to get up a video podcast as well. We love it. We're learning a lot!
I'm part of the media team now. I help with sound, putting the words on the screen, and cameras. I seem to enjoy the ProPresenter (putting words on the screen) since I've done that before, and doing sound the most. I've met some cool guys that are normally in the booth every Sunday. I hope we can get involved in a small group or at least meet some more people our age too. There's a women's luncheon every month, that I have yet to go to. I am determined to go to the next one! Oh, I didn't mention that our church is also a café. It's a great concept, and has a very cool atmosphere (and yummy food!). The local news has done pieces on it, because they give their profit back to the community. Here's a video I found:
I've started working at a preschool part-time. I substituted for them starting in December, and got hired at the beginning of Feb. It wasn't the ideal job I was looking for, since I had hoped to get into a primary school, but it works for now.
I work in the afternoons with 3 year olds (12 boys, 1 girl). It's CRAZY with all those boys sometimes. I've had some trouble getting them to listen, which is frustrating. Thankfully, though, they're giving me some help Tues-Thurs (there will be another lady with me). I'm trying to find management techniques that work. The lady that will be in the classroom with me is a middle school special ed. teacher, so I am looking forward to learning from her. :)
Last week there was an incident with a grandparent that upset me. She came to pick up the last little boy that I had that day. This little boy in particular is quite sensitive. That day I was giving treats to them when they left if they had been good. Thankfully that bribe worked for all, haha. So, I got my bag of skittles and gave the little boy one, which happened to be orange. He then said he wanted a green one. I told him that I was sorry, but that's what he gets. There's a rule (which he knows about) that the kids like to repeat because it rhymes, and that is: "You get what you get, and you don't fuss a bit." Well, grandma didn't like that I didn't give her baby the color he wanted. She said, "I guess you don't have much experience working with children, do you?" I replied that I do in fact have experience (I didn't mention 5 years to be exact). Then, she complained about me not giving him a green one and started to list off things that I had done wrong in her eyes over the past few weeks. For example, I was "ugly" to him when I made him say "thank you," asked him to get his jacket, put someone else's shirt in his bag, and didn't notice a scratch on his face. I am not ugly, I am fair and there are rules the kids have to follow. I am also trying to instill respect in them by asking them to use their manners. Heaven forbid! lol. I didn't put the wrong shirt in his bag, because I only do that if the child gets dirty while in the afternoon and then I would know exactly whose it was. But they should put kids' names on clothing anyway to prevent that from happening. And forgive me if I miss a scratch on a kids' face. Normally, this particular kid would've come running to me and told me all about it because he is very sensitive, like I said.
Anyway, I had never been talked to like that before, and I ended up crying after she left. I think I was caught off guard also, because the lady had been nice to me before. I have yet to see her again, but expect to see the child's mother at least on Monday. We'll see what she says. But now I know that if a parent does that, I'm not gonna sweat it, and just tell them if they have a problem to take it up with the office (if they're being irrational). Silly people. I guess it's good training to be a school counselor. Haha, I'm sure I'll have plenty of crazy parents to deal with.
Time for lunch!
Love and peace!
Comments
Post a Comment